Friday, March 5, 2010

God is so Big!

So I know God's word. I've experienced it in my life, and I preach it others, but God is so big! So often times I find myself much like the Israelites did while they were making the Golden calf. Here they were totally delivered out of slavery, witnesses to some of the coolest miracles that God ever did in the Old Testament, and then they seem to forget everything God had done for them.

Well I'm not saying I've recently participated in any idol worship, but I often forget how awesome God is, and just how big he is. Today I filed my taxes completely expecting about the same return as last year (approx. $2800). Michele and I didn't have much change from last year. I was a student last year, our income hasn't differed much, and we had Caroline when we filed last year, so there was no reason to expect more or less money. Before I tell you how much the tax return is for, I want to remind you about the commitment Michele and I just made...

It was but about a week ago that I read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I was so hooked that I couldn't put the book down, I read it in 2 days. I was totally convicted about the way that I had been spending the money God had entrusted me to be a good steward of. So I "that's enough". Michele and I decided to get debt free, and actually manage our money biblically. We have plans to sell almost everything we own that has value, we had already planned to take our entire tax return and put it into the snowball effect. So a couple of days later (March 5, 2010) after we had made this commitment we go to get our taxes done, and it was the biggest return we have ever had in our life. $6,700!!!!!! That's over double what we were expecting! This will really accelerate our snowball effect. We are so excited, and so blown away from God. It was like was say "don't you dare limit me, and what I can do." I am humbled just to be a servant, and feel totally blessed that he is allowing me to do his work. I hope all you that read this are encouraged by our little story. We have a long way to go, but this was just a nice reminder He is on the throne, and is able to do anything he wants.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment