Thursday, March 4, 2010

Were going to be debt free!!!!

It's been a while since I've written here because I have been writing in my physical journal, and have really just forgotten about this blog. But my family has something new to talk about, so I wanted to write about it here. Were going to be debt free!!! Now, it's going to take a while, and it's going to be really, really hard! But, I'm so excited to get started...Here's the tipping point.

Last week I was rejected for a home loan for the second time in my life. An FHA home loan at that. I was really really bummed for about a 1/2 a day then I decided to stop having a pity party and pick up Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book that had been sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I read through it in 2 days. I couldn't put it down, it was awesome! He's an incredible leader. His logic isn't genius, it's simple, biblical, and practical, but the way he leads people through it is where his true genius lies. We don't have an exact figure just yet on what our total debt is (because we don't have the most current student loan bills for this month) but, we have approximately $84,650 in debt. This includes a joint Visa card, a True line of credit, a car payment, 2 private school loans, 1 seminary loan. Our number is so high mainly because of our student debt. Unfortunately state schools don't offer the degree's that minister's need to get their education, so I took on a lot of debt for my education's sake. However, I have chosen no longer to be a slave to my debt. We are about to attack it with gazelle intensity! Were are going to file our taxes tomorrow which (if it's like last year) should give us approx $2,500 and were going to put that all on our visa card, almost paying it off. The next thing I'm doing is selling tons of stuff. I'm going to sell my: Glock 27 9mm pistol, baseball card collection (which is valuable), utility lawn trailer, my Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle, our family surround sound stereo, my old college car stereo, and anything else I can find worth any money. It will be painful, but I'm actually excited about seeing those things go because it just means I'm one step closer to being debt free. I already have a buyer for the gun and the trailer, but the rest of those things are still up for grabs if anyone's interested.

I feel like God is so excited about me setting the example, and being the leader he wants me to be. I can't wait to get to a point where we are able to do even more with what God has blessed us with. I will be doing a video log and posting it to youtube to track our trials, and successes. Stay tuned as I will keep this blog updated as well.

Were going to be debt free!!!! Join me, pick up a copy of Total Money Makeover today

No comments:

Post a Comment